1. "Fear and Loathing (of Floating) in Central, Eastern and Southeastern Europe: A Dollar Bloc and a Euro Bloc?"|
[last draft: October 14, 2016]
2. "The Mystery of Missing Real Spillovers in Southern Africa: Some Facts and Possible Explanations" (with Olivier Basdevant, Andrew Jonelis, and Borislava Mircheva)
[published in South African Journal of Economics 83:3 (September 2015): 371-389]
[an earlier version published in June 2014 as Discussion Paper 14/03 of the International Monetary Fund's African Department]
3. "De Jure versus De Facto Exchange Rate Regimes in Sub-Saharan Africa"
[published in Journal of African Economies 22:5 (November 2013): 732-756]
[an earlier version published in August 2011 as Working Paper 11/198 of the International Monetary Fund]
4. "Structural Current Account Imbalances: Fixed versus Flexible Exchange Rates?"
[last draft: April 19, 2009]
[published in November 2009 as Discussion Paper 76 of the Bulgarian National Bank]
5. "Do Common Currencies Facilitate the Net Flow of Capital among Countries?"
[published in The North American Journal of Economics and Finance 20:2 (August 2009): 124-144]
[an earlier version published in July 2007 as Working Paper 337 of the Stanford Center for International Development]
6. "Does Monetary Integration Reduce Exchange Rate Pass-through?"
[published in The World Economy 31:12 (December 2008): 1599-1624]
[an earlier version published in June 2007 as Discussion Paper 59 of the Bulgarian National Bank]
7. "Measuring and Modeling the Effects of G-3 Exchange Rate Fluctuations on Small Open Economies: A Natural Experiment"
[published in Economic Systems 32:3 (September 2008): 253-273]
8. "Should Small Open Economies in East Asia Keep All Their Eggs in One Basket: The Role of Balance Sheet Effects" [Paper][Technical Appendix]
[published in The Journal of the Korean Economy 9:1 (April 2008): 1-43]
[winner of the journalís 2009 Best Paper Award]
9. "Innocent or Not-so-innocent Bystanders: Evidence from the Gravity Model of International Trade about the Effects of UN Sanctions on Neighbor Countries"
[published in The World Economy 30:11 (November 2007): 1701-1725]
10. "But Can't They Hedge? Managing Foreign Exchange Risk under 'Original Sin'"
[Working Paper 177, Stanford Center for International Development, August 2003]
11. "Manipulation, Monopoly, and the Chicago Board of Tradeís Transition from Self-regulation to Government Regulation"
[last draft: October 18, 2001]
1. "Fear of Floating" (with Ramkishen Rajan)|
[published in The Princeton Encyclopedia of the World Economy, edited by Kenneth Reinert and Ramkishen Rajan, Princeton: Princeton University Press, 2009, 416-418]
2. "Currency Board Arrangement"
[published in The Princeton Encyclopedia of the World Economy, edited by Kenneth Reinert and Ramkishen Rajan, Princeton: Princeton University Press, 2009, 240-243]
3. Review of Lance Taylor's book External Liberalization in Asia, Post-Socialist Europe, and Brazil
[published in Comparative Economic Studies 50:4 (December 2008): 703-706]
4. Review of Guillermo Calvo's book Emerging Capital Markets in Turmoil: Bad Luck or Bad Policy?
[published in Comparative Economic Studies 49:1 (March 2007): 172-175]
5. "Should the CEE Accession Countries Put All Their Eggs in One Basket: The Role of Balance Sheet Effects"
[published in Aspects of Globalization, Regionalization and Business, edited by Ioannis-Dionysios Salavrakos, Athens, Greece: ATINER, 2004, 267-281]